Consulting Skills is a pragmatic hands-on course that evolved from one of the UK’s most successful independent consulting organisations. It was introduced to consciously move the whole organisation away from a mindset of individual, discrete projects to longer-lasting, value-based relationships.
A true consultant becomes a trusted advisor for his/her clients, while enhancing the culture, success and profitability of his/her consulting organisation.
This two day residential course gives individuals and consulting organisations strategies and tools to increase those consulting skills, and opportunity to practice these within the confines of a tough but safe environment. Learning is cemented through the sharing of real world examples and experiences.
It works because it is real world.
• Contextual - It focusses on your business, your consultants and the client situations they face every day.
• Delivery - This course is delivered by successful consultants with many years' experience, with specific and intentional input from your own leaders at key points.
• Simple - There are no confusing theories - only simple, but highly effective tips, techniques and strategies.
This course is designed to achieve the following key objectives:
- Increase sales and retain clients
- Sell with a focus on solutions delivering value
- Develop negotiation skills to identify ways to meet both client and consultancy needs
- Build stronger and longer-lasting client relationships
- Develop and Retain Consultants
- Develop a range of interpersonal and consultative skills
- Deepen knowledge and link to consultancy
- Deepen relationships between consultants
- Increase profitability
- Improve project profitability by increasing awareness of profitability drivers, and the ability to identify, escalate and resolve project issues
- Improve HR costs by reducing consulting churn
- Increase client profitability by reducing cost of sale and increasing client retention
By focussing on the importance of the end-to-end engagement, and highlighting the importance of pre-sales, post-delivery, and relationship-building, consultants get a deeper understanding of what it takes to deliver value to their clients, not just projects.
The course is highly interactive - it is intense, and anything but a day off! We encourage teamwork and sharing of experience through realistic role-play and analysis. Hard lessons in a safe environment.
Increase sales and retain clients
• Sell with a focus on solutions delivering value
• Develop negotiation skills to identify ways to meet both client and consultancy needs
• Build stronger and longer-lasting client relationships
Develop and Retain Consultants
• Develop a range of interpersonal and consultative skills
• Deepen knowledge and link to consultancy
• Deepen relationships between consultants
• Improve project profitability by increasing awareness of profitability drivers, and the ability to identify, escalate and resolve project issues
• Improve HR costs by reducing consulting churn
• Increase client profitability by reducing cost of sale and increasing client retention
Your Elevator Pitch
• As an individual consultant, this can be a daunting situation
• Others find it easy but can often say the wrong thing
• This session explores the key ingredients to becoming comfortable & getting this right
• How much do individual consultants know or understand about the company?
• This provides the perfect opportunity to reaffirm what is important and why via consistent messaging?
• What are your key goals & values?
• What makes you stand apart from the competition?
• Whether we like it or not all consultants are on show all the time and not just via formal PPT presentations. Everything we say and do in front of a client can define the professional consultant
• There is no substitute for recognising this and being prepared
• Small changes can change perception enormously
• This is a great opportunity to remind ourselves of the basics & put them into practice
• Positive feedback is always welcomed, however Constructive feedback is key to enable improvement
• Learn & Practice how to deliver and receive feedback in a positive and welcome manner
• Seek out opportunities to gain others insight
Defining Project Purpose
• Delivery often takes place with most involved unaware of the true project goals
• Understanding the real value led reasons for change can elevates the quality of delivery
• This gives greater alignment to the client business objectives leading to greater partnership
• The best teams are likely to have greater awareness of each other’s natural strengths & weaknesses
• How aware are consultants of their own natural working styles and how this relates to others?
• Can people adapt their style to complement others?
• Team based role play that centres around a client pitch to be delivered in tight timescales
• How good is the understanding of client requirements?
• Credibility to deliver, solution robustness and value are all critical ingredients in any successful pitch
• Consultants negotiate all the time
• Learning from their own and others experiences it is key to stay objective & not emotional
• This role play scenario enables team to prepare fully and practice in a safe environment
Delivering a Profit
• Profitability should not be the sole preserve of the Company Directorship
• Each step of delivery includes opportunities to increase revenue or decrease costs
• Understanding the key drivers
Consulting Skills is Primarily aimed at smaller to mid sized Consulting Organisations wishing to gain the benefit of truly engaged workforce.
It is also aimed at individuals wishing to make that next step from a pure delivery-focussed role into more value-based and business facing consulting. This is equally relevant for technology consultants, project managers / scrum masters, developers, designers or creatives who need to understand their clients better, and shift their focus from only delivering projects to delivering projects with a real focus on their value and impact.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
This course is heavily customised to the organisations it is delivered for. This is so that it can be used straight away, rather than having attendees leave with some great information, but no real perspective on how to apply it in their roles, in their organisations and with their clients. As a result, there is no certification - simply a focus on improvement and impact.