A course, a mind-set, and a skill set about how to do excellent software testing in a way that is very fast, inexpensive, credible, and accountable.
9 October3 days, 09:30 AM - 05:30 PM
What is it?
Rapid Software Testing is a context-driven methodology for testing and product or service that involve software.
This means the class is not specifically about testing in an Agile, DevOps, Lean, Waterfall, or regulated context; nor do we cover any specific testing tool you might use to simulate users or support any other aspect of testing. But we do help you incorporate these things into testing by putting you in control of the process, so that you solve the problems that actually exist in your context.
RST is designed to show you a clear, simple and powerful way to think about testing that encourages responsible and systematic testing that focuses on business risk and context-dependent deep testing for your projects.
Our primary goal is to help you learn how to test a product when you have to test it right now, under conditions of uncertainty, in a way that stands up to scrutiny. In other words, the class is focused on test design and test strategy, which is the heart of what you need to find important bugs before it’s too late.
A secondary goal is to help you think and talk like a testing expert, so that you can gain the credibility you need to be allowed to do your job without interference.
Of course, we can’t achieve these goals just by immersing you in a three-day class. What we can do in the time available is show you how to think about testing, show you what the necessary testing skills look like, and help you to continue building those skills when you go back to work.
What is the format?
This will be a hands-on workshop, we will challenge assumptions and expose common misconceptions about testing practices.
What will your learn?
- What is testing and how it must fit the project context
- How mental models and critical thinking form the basis of all testing
- How to deal with overwhelming complexity or confusion
- How to recognize problems despite ambiguous or missing specifications
- How to survey a product to prepare for deep testing
- How to create tests: heuristics, risks, procedures, coverage, oracles
- How tools help magnify and manage testing
- How to know when you’ve tested enough
- How to analyze test results and report evidence in a compelling way
- The Heuristic Test Strategy Model and many other specific heuristics for testing
Who is it for?
Works for any part of the industry
The methodology has been applied to government agencies, video game companies, startups, medical device manufacturers and more, it's not tied to any one industrial context.
Works for testing specialists and part-timers
The class focuses on skills that are applicable to both testers but also developers, designers, business analysts, product owners or domain experts who perform roles other than testing.
Works for all team members
We show how people with any background can contribute to excellent testing using open-ended exercises. Even though the material has a technical slant, both experienced testers and new practitioners will find the class rewarding.
Compatible with Agile and DevOps
We focus on universal skills and heuristics of test design & strategy - which can be applied to any type of development process (even waterfall ones if that is where you are starting).
Bring a Windows laptop. If you can’t bring a Windows laptop, bring some kind of laptop. We use software in the class that runs only on Windows. But as long as enough people bring Windows laptops, we will be okay.
You don’t have to prepare for the course. But if you want to do something that will give you a special edge in the class, you can review any of these materials:
- RST Overview
- Explaining Heuristic Test Strategy Model in Two Minutes? (YoutTube)
- Lessons Learned in Software Testing: A Context-Driven Approach, by Cem Kaner, James Bach, and Bret Pettichord
- Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar, by James Bach
- Rapid Software Testing Appendices
- Rapid Software Testing Public Slides