The Kanban method focuses on making incremental, iterative changes that evolve business processes into more efficient and manageable work streams while avoiding the risks associated with complex change programmes. This interactive 2-day workshop, accredited by the Lean-Kanban University, provides a thorough grounding in the principles and practices of Kanban.
30 March2 days, 09:30 AM - 05:00 PM
29 June2 days, 09:30 AM - 05:00 PM
17 November2 days, 09:30 AM - 05:00 PM
Kanban Management Professional Pack - Get Certified with Helen Meek.
Book this course together with Helen's Certified Kanban Management Professional [KMP2] for £1650 + VAT.
Kanban is a set of values, practices and principles that bring the benefits of Lean theory to organisations.
• increasing the flow of value
• visualising and establishing an optimum workload for the team's capacity
• reducing waste
• creating better organisational alignment
• building a culture of engaged workers
The course shows you how Kanban fits within the Agile context and how it complements your existing Agile or non-Agile ways of working. You will leave with practical insights on how to implement or improve Kanban within your organisation.
This workshop is hands-on, using various exercises, games and Kanban simulations alongside instructor-led discussions and presentations.
What you will learn:
Agile and Lean Principles
• Kanban and the Agile Manifesto
• Agile Principles
• Little k and Big K - the kanban technique and method
• Revolutionary vs Evolutionary Change
• Principles of the Kanban Method
• Core Practices of the Kanban Method
• Depth of Implementation
• When is Kanban typically used?
Visualising the Workflow Work Items
• Identifying Work Item Types
• Modelling the Process
• Demand Analysis
• Kanban Boards
• Team-based realistic simulation of using a Kanban system in action
Limiting Work in Progress
• Little's Law
• Limiting WIP
• Input Queues
• Output Buffers
• Setting WIP Limits
• Cumulative Flow Diagrams
• Measuring Flow
• WIP as an indicator of Lead Time
• Identifying Problems
• Removing Bottlenecks
Making Process Policies Explicit
• Classes of Service
• Cost of Delay
• Scheduling Policies
• Service Level Agreements
• Empirical Feedback
• Feedback Within the Team
• Feedback Between Teams
• Feedback from Manager to Team Member
Kaizen - Collaborative Improvement
• Improvement Cycles
• Rhythm and Cadence
This course has no set pre-requisites and is suitable for all experience levels.
Bring your own device
Laptops are not required for this course and all courseware and materials will be provided.
This course is useful for anyone who wants to be successful using Kanban within their organisation. It will be helpful both to those new to Kanban and those who have explored Kanban but who now want to consolidate their knowledge in a practical setting.
In terms of roles, the course is suitable for Product and Project Managers, Development Team Members (Architects, Designers, Coders, Testers, etc), Business Analysts and Scrum Product Owners / ScrumMasters who want to enhance their Lean / Agile skillset.
Participants on this course will gain sufficient knowledge about the Kanban Method and related topics to:
- Lead or guide a team in their adoption of Kanban - from initial visualisation and the design of kanban systems through to evolutionary change
- Answer questions and support the team in day-to-day operation
- Help teams to identify and resolve hindrances to flow
- Take measurements and create meaningful metrics that helps the team
- Evolve process and practice according to team needs in a meaningful way
- Connect with the Kanban community for the sharing of practical experiences and the development of new ideas and techniques
This course has been accredited by the Kanban University and is Part 1 of the Kanban Management Professional (KMP) certification. Attendees must complete the KMP2 training course to receive the KMP certificate from the Kanban University.
Upon successful completion of the course attendees will become accredited members of the Kanban University.
Students can choose to receive an electronic copy of "Kanban - Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business" by David J. Anderson.
How Did We Do?